Photo by Greg Rodgers
While Bali, a top honeymoon spot in Asia, gets plenty of attention from tourists, most people don't know much about Indonesia in general.
Southeast Asia's largest country is big enough to find whatever you're looking for; adventure - whether you are looking for it or not - can be found around every corner!
Some Indonesia facts:
- Indonesia is the fourth most populous country in the world (248.6 million people).
- Indonesia is the world's most populous Islamic nation.
- Although the official count varies each year, Indonesia is spread across an archipelago of at least 17,000 islands.
- Although they are now far more behaved, there are still living headhunters in Indonesia. Some have even kept their 'trophies' in storage.
- The world's largest volcanic lake, Lake Toba, is in Sumatra.
- A new island has formed in the center of Lake Toba and is home to Batak -- former headhunters.
- Indonesia is the only place in the world to see the Komodo dragon in the wild.
- Sumatra is the only place outside of Borneo to see wild orangutans.
- The expression 'running amok' comes from the Indonesian language.
- More than 700 languages and dialects are spoken in Indonesia.
Who wouldn't be tempted to visit such an interesting place?
See more Indonesia facts and know what to expect during Indonesia travel.