Plan Your Asia Travel
By Greg Rodgers
- Know Before You Go
- On the Ground - Practical Info
- What to Pack for Asia
- Money Matters
- Things to Avoid
- Staying Healthy
Know Before You Go
A successful trip to Asia starts before you leave home. Learn how to become an expert and responsible traveler with these tips.
- How to Get Cheap Flights to Asia
- Things to Know Before Planning a Trip to Asia
- Step-by-Step Asia Travel Planning Guide
- How to Get a Travel Visa
- 5 Myths About Asia Travel
- Get Cheap Travel Insurance for Asia
- Responsible Travel in Asia
- How to Save Money with Couch Surfing
- Before You Go to India
- Planning a Trip to Southeast Asia
- Before You Go to China
- Planning a Trip to Hong Kong
- Booking Accommodation in Asia
- Planning Your Thailand Vacation
On the Ground - Practical Info
Know what to expect once you arrive in Asia. Get information about the voltage in Asian countries, how to make phone calls home, and general survival tips.
- The Voltage in Asian Countries
- How to Make International Phone Calls
- Tipping and Gratuity Guide for Asia
- The Squat Toilet and Asian Toilets
- What to Expect During Ramadan Travel
- Internet Cafe Computer Security Basics
- 10 Travel Photography Tips
- India Travel Essentials
- What to Expect at Budget Hotels in India
- What to Expect in China - Culture Shock
- Will My Cell Phone Work in Asia?
- Renting a Motorbike in Asia - Scams and Safety
- How to Take Care of Electronic Devices
What to Pack for Asia
Pack light and have a more enjoyable trip to Asia. Find out what to bring and what to buy for cheap once you arrive.
- Simple Items You Should Bring to Asia
- 10 Things Not to Pack for Asia
- Basic First Aid Packing List
- Thailand Packing List
- What to Pack for Southeast Asia
- Packing List for India
- Packing for a Trip to China
- How to Pack for Japan
- Portable Solar Charger for Electronics
Everything in Asia is negotiable! Learn how to negotiate properly, access funds without making the banks richer, and how to budget for your Asia trip.
- How Much Does Asia Travel Cost?
- How to Access and Carry Your Money in Asia
- How to Negotiate Prices
- How to Exchange Money
- Tipping Guide for Asia
- Shopping Guide for Asia
- 10 Budget Travel Tips for Saving Money
- Should You Tip in Japan?
- Should You Tip in India?
- Budget Travel Tips for Japan
- Vietnam Money and Currency
Things to Avoid
Scams, ripoffs, and unpleasant situations unfortunately come with being a newbie in Asia. Use this list of minor annoyances to lessen the learning curve.
Keep yourself healthy and happy with these tips for health and safety tips for Asia. Learn about recommended vaccinations, avoiding things that want to bite, and how to generally keep yourself in one piece.
- 5 Common Travel Ailments and How to Beat Them
- Travel Safety Tips for Asia
- Is MSG in Asian Food Safe?
- Hiking and Trekking Safety Tips
- Budget Travel Insurance Basics
- Travel Vaccinations for Asia
- How to Beat Jet Lag
- How to Avoid Mosquito Bites
- Do You Need Vaccinations for Thailand?
- India Travel Tips for Safety
- Safety Tips for Southeast Asia
- Dealing with Traveler's Diarrhea (TD)
- How to Survive Monkey Encounters
- How to Check for Bed Bugs
- How to Protect Yourself From the Sun
- Sanitation and Hygiene in India
- Avoiding Dengue Fever in Asia
Behaving Yourself - Etiquette
While foreigners are forgiven most trespasses, learn to travel like a pro by not offending anyone on accident. Avoid a faux pas at dinner or visit that mosque with confidence after you read these etiquette tips and pointers.
- The Concept of Saving Face in Asia
- Etiquette in Thailand Dos and Don'ts
- Thailand Temple Etiquette
- Drugs in Thailand
- Laowai, Farang, and Other Terms for Foreigners in Asia
- Chinese Table Manners and Dining Etiquette
- Japanese Table Manners and Etiquette
- Japanese Business Etiquette
- Dos and Don'ts for Visiting Buddhist Temples
- Dos and Don'ts for Visiting Mosques
- Five Things Not to Do in India
- Drinking Etiquette in Japan
- What Not to Do in Asia
- How to Use Chopsticks
Weather in Asia
The weather in Asia will greatly affect your trip experience. Many parts of Southeast Asia have only two seasons: hot and dry or hot and wet. Monsoon rains can really put a damper on outdoor activities in some places, while in other places you may never even notice!
- Monsoon Season: When to Go to India
- Southeast Asia Weather
- Travel in India During the Monsoon Season
- Weather in Koh Lanta, Thailand
- Weather in Vietnam
- The Seasons in Thailand
- Weather in Hong Kong
- Weather in China
- The Climate in Japan
- Best Time to Visit Singapore
Chicken buses, train rooftops, leaky boats, elephants -- anything goes when it comes to getting from point A to point B in Asia. Read about these transportation options and how to move around the world's largest continent.
- How to Use Tuk-Tuks in Thailand
- Buses from Singapore to KL
- Guide to Kuala Lumpur Flights
- Find Cheap Flights to Borneo
- Getting Around Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
- Getting from Chiang Mai to Bangkok
- How to Get to Koh Lanta, Thailand
- Getting to Pai from Chiang Mai, Thailand
- Transportation Options in India
- Using the Subway in Japan
- Taking Taxis in China
- Finding the Cheapest Flights to Bali
- Bus from KL to Singapore
- Nearest Airport to Manali, India
- From Chiang Mai to Laos
- From Saigon to Hanoi
- Flying into Vietnam
Maps of Asia
Asia is huge, but these maps will help you to get oriented. Use these maps of Asia to get some ideas for where to visit, but don't spend too much time on your itinerary; getting lost in a new place is half the fun!
Learn the Language
While not necessary, knowing a little of the language in the countries you visit will greatly enhance your trip. Knowing a few basics such as "hello" and "thank you" will always get a smile and shows that you are interested in the local culture.
- Greetings for Each Asian Country
- How to Say Hello in Japanese
- How to Say Hello in Chinese
- How to Say Hello in Thai
- How to Count in Chinese
- How to Say Hello in Southeast Asia