Although many travelers tend to enter Southeast Asia through Bangkok, Malaysia's capital is a major hub for the region -- you may find better deals. Kuala Lumpur flights from all points in Asia terminate in the impressive KLIA airport.
You'll also find direct connections to major international cities all over the world. Kuala Lumpur has a direct connection to the US via Los Angeles.
Read this KL travel guide, then check for cheap Kuala Lumpur flights to and from popular destinations.
- Learn some tricks for finding cheap flights to Asia from the US.
Kuala Lumpur Airports
An overwhelming majority of flights to Kuala Lumpur are serviced by the Kuala Lumpur International Airport (Airport Code: KUL) with many budget airlines operating out of the satellite Low Cost Carrier Terminal. Although the two are 12 miles apart and are often referred to by locals as different airports, LCCT is a actually just a temporary expansion of KLIA.
The old Subang Airport (Airport Code: SZB) still handles some regional traffic and small flights to island destinations in Southeast Asia.
- Read more about the airports and transportation in Kuala Lumpur.
Kuala Lumpur Flights to and from LCCT:
The following budget airlines operate out of the Low Cost Carrier Terminal:
- AirAsia uses LCCT as their primary hub and flies to destinations all over Asia and Australia.
- Cebu Pacific flies to Manila, Philippines, from Kuala Lumpur.
- Tiger Airways flies to Singapore from Kuala Lumpur. If you have more time than money, consider taking the six-hour bus from KL to Singapore.
Flights in Southeast Asia:
You'll find plenty of cheap flights from Kuala Lumpur to major destinations in Asia, particularly thanks to AirAsia using the LCCT as a hub in Kuala Lumpur.
- Bangkok, Thailand: Serviced by AirAsia, Bangkok Airways, EgyptAir, Lufthansa, Malaysia Airlines, Royal Jordanian, Thai Airways International.
- Singapore: Serviced by AirAsia, Jetstar Asia Airways, Malaysia Airlines, Silk Air, Singapore Airlines, and Tiger Airways.
- Manila, Philippines: Serviced by Cebu Pacific, and Malaysia Airlines.
- Siem Reap, Cambodia: Serviced by AirAsia and Malaysia Airlines.
- Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam: Serviced by Vietnam Airlines, Malaysia Airlines, and AirAsia.
- Hanoi, Vietnam: Serviced by AirAsia, Malaysia Airlines, and Vietnam Airlines.
International Flights to Kuala Lumpur
The following cities have direct connections to Kuala Lumpur:
- Los Angeles
Flights to Borneo
Malaysian Borneo is an adventure-filled, nature lover's paradise. One of only two places in the world to still see endangered orangutans, Borneo will probably be the highlight of your trip.
You'll find cheap flights to three major hubs in Borneo from Kuala Lumpur:
- Kuching: The capital of Sarawak, Kuching is friendly, pleasant, and is often touted as the cleanest city in Asia. Read this Kuching travel guide.
- Kota Kinabalu: Kota Kinabalu, or KK, is the capital of Sabah and the largest city in Malaysian Borneo.
- Sandakan: Most people don't know that they can use Sandakan as an alternative entry into East Sabah. In fact, flying into Sandakan puts you closer to natural attractions such as the Rainforest Discovery Centre, Sepilok Orangutan Rehabilitation Centre, and the world-class diving in Sabah than by entering through Kota Kinabalu.
See more alternate airports and tips for finding deals on flights to Borneo.